- It is Anti-Fungal when used externally
- Mustard oil is a unique, pungent, sharp smelling, astringent oil obtained from the seeds of mustard.
- It is used as a cooking and massage oil all over the Indian subcontinent and even at some places in Europe, the Middle East, Northern Africa and central Asia.
- We shall examine the advantages of mustard oil for cooking, skin conditioning, hair growth and for use in specific conditions, like diabetes.
- Moreover, since it is native to the Indus Valley Civilization, it is mentioned in the ancient textbooks on Ayurvedic medicine system and some of its health benefits are quite intriguing.
A Powerful massage for the Gums
Half a teaspoon of ground rock salt is to be mixed with mustard oil and applied on the gums with the help of the fingers. This massage has been used in certain Asian cultures to keep gum diseases like pyorrhea at bay. Now, a clinical trial too has corroborated the efficacy of mustard oil and rock salt massage for periodontitis.