Home Made Odiyal Flour is the starch extracted from Palmyrah Tubers (Odiyal) of Palmyra Tree. . Those tubers would be dried before making of Odiyal ma. It is claimed to have many health benefits according to Jaffna folklore and Ayurveda.
- Odiyal Flour is considered a good source of carbohydrates, fiber and some micronutrients such as calcium, magnesium and ferrous irons.
- The consumption of the ‘odiyal’ flour can be increased by the introduction of more value added products with good palatability.
- It is believed that odiyal flour has the ability to make your body cool and helps to get rid of problems.
- Sun dried Odiyal is pounded and sieved. The starchy Odiyal flour is widely used by the Jaffna Tamils. They make Koozh (Porridge) and Puttu. It is fibrous and nutritious.
- They make Posha balls also. That’s very healthy and popular among Jaffna people specially kids more likely into this.